Thursday, January 8, 2009

Friend Ship of Fools

I have this guy that I've known for twenty-two years.

We suffered through band together. He was my roommate for a long while in college. I was a groomsman at his wedding, and when I was unemployed for such a long time, he and his wife let me live in their house for a while.

THAT is a friend.

But some total stranger who sees a clip I uploaded to YouTube, likes it, and wants to initiate some kind of connection is not a "friend," and to use the word in that superficial, frivolous way seems like an insult to my actual friends and a denegration of the word itself.

I know that I take words more seriously than do most people, but surely I'm not the only one who wishes YouTube and MySpace and all those other "virtual networking sites" would find another word to use.
_ __ __________ __ _

By the way, I've been spending more time beating this re-design into shape, and I've almost got it where I want it.

The downside is that I've been spending so much time on how it looks that I've been neglecting the content somewhat. I'll do better soon, 'promise.

Hits as of now: 43,642

No comments: