Thursday, November 13, 2008

Breaker Box of Surprises


Technology sucks.

"Well, of course it does" you should be thinking.

But here's my latest story of why technology sucks. It starts with a photograph of my new apartment.



I took it last night. Isn't it cool?

I'm sorry it's so dark, but that's only because when I got home from work last night I had NO FUCKING ELECTRICITY!

Even the security lights outside were off, but only outside my door. Around every other door there was an all-night glow and the hum of a few insects. But my place was dark inside.

I went back to work and tried to call the electric company but couldn't get anyone. So I camped there for a bit, watched Hulu, and then went home to camp out for the night, armed against the dark staircase with a flashlight and couple of candles. This morning I threw what I could salvage from the 'fridge into a cooler and called the electric company from work. And learned a few things:
  1. Their phone system is a bitch unless you have your account number in front of you, but I've never received a bill so I had no number
  2. My account had never been set up in the first place, and for the past month I've been using the apartment manager's electricity without knowing it. I don't know yet what that may cost me in money, but I really don't want to look like some deadbeat leech.
  3. They can have the electricity back on Monday. It could be on today if I pay a large fee, which I won't do because I object to having to fork over money because someone else screwed up.
So it will be an interesting weekend. I might get more done, since I can't waste time in front of the television or editing video clips (I did the Man of the Month clip for December Tuesday night, by the way.). Last night I made a mental list of things I could do without electricity, which consisted mostly of sleep, read, and work out - all things I don't do enough of anyway. I started to have a run this morning, but when I realized that I wouldn't have any hot water for a shower afterward, I changed my mind.

And I'm feeling embarrassed and weak that I feel like I need electricity so much. What would my pioneer grandparents say?
Hits as of now: 28775

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can think of something else you can do without electricity
unless you're using exotic equipment