Thursday, July 31, 2008

Question Air Supply


I think I've found a new #1 Language Annoyance.

#1 used to be when people passing on sidewalks and in hallways would reply to my "hello" with "How are you?" and then walk on. Asking a question and then walking away without even giving anyone a chance to answer.

That was bad enough, but then people got stupider. I'd say "hello" and they'd say "fine," answering a question I had not asked.

But now I have found a greeting that annoys me more: people who call up at work and begin the conversation with "How are you today?" before immediately plowing into the real reason they called. Why do they ask a question if they're not going to let anyone answer? And it's become so common that now whenever someone does wait for me to answer, I'm so shocked that I just stammer and don't remember what to say, not even with the customary "fine."

Yes, I realize that this is just social politeness and I should appreciate the fact that they're not being rude on the phone. And I know that language is mostly a matter of habit and they're doing what most everyone else does, without realizing the illogic of it. But I am astounded at how many people talk without ever thinking about what they're saying. The Scarecrow was right: some people without brains do an awful lot of talking.

And, dammit, don't ask a question if you don't want an answer! It seems a bit like waving your dick at someone then putting it away again before the actual sex happens.
_ __ ______________________________ __ _

Now that my health seems to have calmed down (blood pressure back to normal, no mysterious aches and itches plaguing me), I've resumed working out, which I started just to look better but now I'm hoping it will help with the blood pressure too. I'm alternating lifting every other day with something more aerobic to work of the fat.

Today it's running, so I have to get my lazy butt up from this chair in a few minutes.


Friday is the first, so it'll be time to take my measurements again. But I doubt I'll be brave enough to post them here.
_ __ ______________________________ __ _

And now this week's experiment of putting in random words to see how they affect what ads Google gives me: cheese, cheesy, cheddar, Swiss cheese, smoked gouda, Monterrey Jack, cheese sauce, cheese knife, cheese grater, Wisconsin, Monty Python.
Hits as of now: 10983

1 comment:

EMikeGarcia said...

I have a friend with whom every initial interaction we have goes like this...

Me: "Hey!"
He: "Hi, how are you?"
Me: "I'm fantastic! How are you?"
He: "Great, thanks... Yourself?"
Me: ::mumble:: "Umm, good."
He: "Just good?"
Me: "I hate you."