Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Completely Mental


"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude
from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man
with the wrong mental attitude."
- Thomas Jefferson

I may have tossed this quotation up here before; I honestly don't remember. But I find it useful when I need to be reminded of the lesson it teaches: that the way I think about a situation is vastly more important than the situation itself.

And today I need reminding.

(I don't know whether what follows is whining or just letting people get to know me, but here goes...) I'm still looking for work, and at this point I'm not looking for anything meaningful or fulfilling. I just need some kind of income before things move beyond desperate. I have friends who offer what support they can, but there's a limit on what they can do and frankly I'm ashamed of needing them so much. I have a strong tendency to want someone to swoop in and save me, and that's not going to happen.

For too long I've let myself be depressed about this, too depressed to actually DO anything about this. But there's no more time for that. I need to do something, to take steps, and for that I'll need a different attitude.

I wish I didn't feel like I keep saying the same things over and over again. There's something far too Waiting for Godot about this.

No comments: