Wednesday, February 25, 2009

NIGHT SHADING PENCIL

ARTISTS I ADMIRE


I hadn't bought a comic book in years, but a couple of years ago I read great compliments about JUSTICE by Jim Krueger and Alex Ross.

I had some money to spend so I started buying each issue.

Right next to it on the shelf was JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA by writer Brad Meltzer and artist Ed Benes. His artwork on the cover looked great, so I started buying it too. Meltzer's story was good, but Benes' drawings were great.

His women were strong and hot, which a lot of artists seem to be able to do, but his men amazed me.

They managed to be masculine and beautiful at the same time, and I was amazed at the way he could create these incredible faces with just a few simple lines and some shading.

Of course, a lot of credit goes to the inkers and the colorists, but Benes was a great discovery for me.



No comments: