Tuesday, January 20, 2009

OATH OF OFFICE DEPOT

How to Speak English, Lesson #417


Happy New Year

Happy New Day

At least, many of us are hoping that today marks the beginning of a new period in USAmerica.

That worries me a bit. When that many people get their hopes up so high, there's bound to be some disappointment ahead.

I want to remind people that this guy is an elected official, and we should treat him like any other elected official: vote for the best candidate you can get, then watch them as closely as if they were an overweight employee in your candy store.

But please don't think I'm being totally negative here. The characteristics of government that I hate the most are the secrecy, the greed, and the arbitrary and self-serving abuse of power; and after eight years one had to be truly delusional to not think that all three of those things were rampant in the administration of Bush the Lesser. Any change from him is a chance for improvement.

Beyond critiquing the last guy, I'm optimistic about the new guy as well. On merely superficial grounds, I like listening to him. Obama was the most eloquent and well-spoken candidate I've heard in my lifetime, second only to Jeb Bartlett's run for re-election. And there are strong reasons to hope that his priorities will be good for the progressives who want to raise all boats rather than giving bigger yachts to some and swamping and sinking many of the others.

Views as of now: 47,166

No comments: