Thursday, June 19, 2008

Fascist Pig Roast


I finally made time to drive past the Governor's Mansion to see the fire damage myself. I didn't stop to take any photos -- the one above is lifted from the NYT -- and the people and cars made it hard to see, but I could take in how extensive the damage was. According to news reports, the first floor is extensively damaged, but the second was practically gutted. That much damage to a building that large is easy to see.

Easy to see, but hard to look at. At least hard for me.

Of course, I'm pretty quick to criticize Texas, but I do love the place, if not most of the people, and I love history enough to be fond of this grand building. Built in the 1850s by former coffin maker Abner Cook, our Governor's Mansion is the oldest continually occupied executive mansion west of the Mississippi. Right now it feels like the arsonists who torched it on June 8 destroyed a lot of history, but in the long run they'll just have added to its history. The mansion will be restored, and this fire will become another episode, just like Gov. Hogg driving nails into the balustrade to keep his son from sliding down it.

The arson job was just last week, but the house has actually been unoccupied since last fall sometime. Governor Goodhair and the wife are living in West Austin while the mansion was being extensively restored. The man's luck continues to protect him, like when his wife moved out and the gay rumours flew around town, then just as quickly stopped.

When I talked about this to Tommy, he gave one of his usual smartass comments: he wished they'd burned the Governor and left the mansion alone. And around here, there are lots of people who'd agree with him. But I didn't tell Tommy that: he likes to think all his ideas are exclusively his.
Hits as of now: 5021

No comments: