Tuesday, January 22, 2008

USA. A Wholly Owned Subsidiary of...

I don't follow politics as closely as I -- and we all -- should. As Eisenhower said, "In a democracy, politics is everyone's part time job."

But I did list my most important issues, and I found a constant element running through all of them: US Corporations are too damned powerful. Beginning with a misunderstood court ruling in 1865, corporations have been systematically using money to buy political influence, then using that influence to change laws and regulations, then using those changes to gain more money, then... O, you get the idea.

The laws that used to keep them in check (read Hartmann's Unequal Protection to learn about them) have been largely erased, and since the 70s there's been a big propaganda campaign to convince people that anything good for corporations is good for the country.

And the propaganda has worked so well that almost an entire generation believes in deregulation so strongly that they question the intelligence of anyone who doesn't. Almost like religious fanatics talking to "outsiders." Or Cubs fans trying to explain why they're Cubs fans.

Business is vital for any economy, and some freedom is necessary to do business. But too much freedom invites excessive greed and corruption, and that's where I think we are now.

Every year, the country I love looks more like the ugly background to a Dicken's novel, where the ignorant are easily made poor and the poor become ever increasngly desperate, all while the Ebenezer Scrooges and Ralph Nickleby's of the world get richer.

So I went looking for a candidate who would talk openly about the need to curtail corporate excess. A friend of mine told me look at John Edwards, and this is a clip my friend made to talk about him.

5 comments:

Mike Ellis, The Jolly Reprobate said...

Hmmm. Over a hundred hits and no comments... You'd think someone would have agreed or disagreed enough to say something.

Anonymous said...

mike, you can count on me to leave a comment :)
i, for one, appreciated the info and the video. edwards' message is very true. unfortunately he won't get the nomination. i think it will take a third party candidate (bloomburg?) becoming president to shake up the status quo in DC. but i'm not optomistic.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mike
I visit your blog sometimes
But I do not have any confidence in my english comment
Your blog is full of witty ,cool
I do not want to ruin your blog by my boring comments...
I enjoy your blog
I am interested in Music Videos you have uploaded on your blog
In 1986...I started to listen to USA music.

wquibl
former inted456

Anonymous said...

I have read your profile!
I know about Hothouse Flowers!
Irish Band
U2 Bono introduced us in the late 1980's


wquibl
inted456

Anonymous said...

i've been thinking about this posting and i read it again today. the political ads have just started on my tv stations and i expect them to increase greatly next week. the candidates pander to the voters, talking about "values" and socially divisive issues, and keeping the electorate all riled about them. the reality is that those issues don't mean anything in DC other than for fund raising purposes to the voters.
you are correct about the mantra of deregulation. companies are not going to regulate themselves unless it's in their financial interest to do so. they certainly won't do it if it's solely in the public's best interest to do so.
as for greed, in the last 8 years america has seen an incredible consolidation of wealth in a very small percentage of people. wealth and money buy politicians who provide governmental power and influence and maintains the status quo. a candidate like Edwards is very scary to the monied elite.