Thursday, December 20, 2007

No relation


My thinking's a bit confused today, a situation no doubt created by various stresses working on me like a throng of illegal immigrants grooming a rich white man's lawn.

But a couple of days ago I remembered other times when I was plagued into inactivity by a host of vague worries and random thoughts, and I remembered also how much help I got from a technique called rational emotive therapy, one of the brain children of Dr. Albert Ellis.

I'm gonna oversimplify this, but it is a pretty simple idea. Basically it requires writing down what you're thinking and examining it for irrationality. The writing-down takes vague worries and random thoughts and makes them concrete on paper, turns them into something real enough to examine rather than just intangible distractions, a swarm of gnats around your mind, as it were. And usually writing down worries and fears (or telling them to a friend or putting them into a prayer etc.) is enough to make them seem less worrying or frightening.

The examination for irrational thoughts is far more complicated than I want to talk about here, but it's sometimes useful.

And, by the way, if you are one of those people who have never been so worried about your own life that you felt depressed or too indecisive to know what to do, consider yourself lucky.
____________________

On a completely unrelated topic,
I'm glad that the guy upstairs has such
a fulfilling and seemingly athletic sex life lately, but I'm getting a bit tired of listening to it. They've been at it for about 90 minutes now.

Views as of now: 1157

No comments: