Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Melancholy Dane Cook


"Man delights not me." - Hamlet
"Your loss, dude. More for me then." - Mike Ellis

____________________

HAPPY BOXING DAY!


Yeah, I know. "Boxing Day" actually has nothing to do with men in baggy shorts pummeling each other senseless. I just used it as an excuse to put this photo up because I feel like I've had too few photographs here of late.

Boxing Day is, in actuality, a public holiday (as opposed to a religious holiday) celebrated in Great Britain and many of its commonwealths and territories such as Canada, Australia, etc. It dates back to the Middle Ages when serfs would gather and collect from their lord seeds, grain, food and tools for the following year, an obligation under the feudal system. Over time, it evolved into a a day where servants and underlings would receive a box containing coins as a year-end gift, which is the probable origin of the annual Christmas bonus many people receive.

A more down-to-Earth explanation is that it began in the practice of giving servants the day after Christmas off since they would have had to work on Christmas itself.

Views as of now: 1419

No comments: